Monday, October 12, 2009

A battle with cynicism.

Sometime a while ago I began feeling as if people didn't care... in general I found myself becoming cynical. Within the past few weeks it became more prevalent and got to the point where I began feeling distant from people... Then it escalated to the point where I began to feel distant from God as well. This was a major problem for me, and I was losing sleep over it. I spent a good amount of time trying to figure things out, but because of this distance I felt, it seemed like everything I had been doing was fruitless. I couldn't worship. Prayer seemed forced and awkward. Reading my Bible seemed like a chore that got me nowhere.

Eventually I got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. I was feeling cynical and depressed and started talking to anyone who would listen. Some of the people I reached out to, some reached out to me. that's not really relevant. I spoke to four people extensively on this topic over the course of time. The night it became worst, I tried to contact a few people, and only one was available at that time. We'll call this person Person #1.

Person #1 offered encouragement and reassurance. This person told me how trials were normal and how we all lose our joy sometimes--that there was probably a lesson to be learned here. This person encouraged me to surrender it all to God, and to pursue Him wholeheartedly. I think deep down inside I knew all this, but it Helped a great deal to be encouraged and reassured. Person #1 is actually a very great encourager, and a very good friend to have. Despite this advice being helpful, it was hard to hear because it's hard to pursue God when He feels distant. I know He's never distant. Sometimes it feels like He is though.

Right after that conversation ended Person #2 called me. Person #2 was incredibly sympathetic and conscious of how I was feeling. This person helped me to see that the way I was feeling was somewhat erroneous, and that despite feeling distant I was really quite loved. I knew that. I just wasn't feeling it. This person helped me ease my depression.

After talking to those two people The depression was gone, and I was able to sleep, but the cynicism was still lurking in my mind. The next day was hectic and busy. I didn't have much time to devote to thinking about it. Person #3 contacted me that day; realizing something was wrong, but not knowing what. Once we had a chance to talk about it, it had turned out that Person #3 was dealing with the exact same thing and had been for quite some time. This person was able to put in to words all the feelings I couldn't quite explain. Also, it helped to hear from someone so empathetic considering they too were dealing with it. It's nice too know I'm not alone. However, Person #3 is somebody I love dearly, and I wish they could also overcome this. Talking to Person #3 give me a stronger desire to overcome this in hopes that maybe I could help them through it if I did.

Anyway, I overcame the depression and pushed the cynicism to the back of my mind. I began to feel somewhat indifferent. I knew my joy was still missing, but I was happy... it was a step in the right direction. I still felt distant though...

Friday night at our late night worship session I was trying to get in to it, but I could not. That's when Person #4 approached me. I explained everything, including how foreign this feeling was. I also told them how hard it was to pursue God under the circumstances. This person offered some very practical advice. This person said that God wants us to be faithful--that He's never distant... even if it may feel that way. Sometimes we just need to get on our faces and tell God how much we need Him. If we feel distant, it's never any fault of His. God won't give up on us. Person #4 prayed for me, and encouraged me.

I spent a lot of time seeking God that night. I got my joy back, and I don't feel distant from Him. I'm slowly regaining my respect for people, and my cynicism is fading away. I feel loved. I'm not quite where I need to be, but I'm heading in the right direction.

I asked God for some scripture... and this is what I got (James 4):

1What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

4You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely?a]"> 6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
"God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble."

7Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

I feel like God is telling me that I need to devote myself wholly to God--that I was feeling distant because He was getting jealous, and He allowed me to feel this way... perhaps because He knew I'd respond--perhaps because that's how I had been making Him feel. I hope it's not the latter. I feel terrible. I need to pursue God wholeheartedly. That's obviously the key to overcoming this. I fail a lot though... I need a lot of prayer, and a lot of help. Keep me accountable. Every time I feel like serving God wholeheartedly I fall away within a few weeks (or even days...). I don't want that.

I want to be His.
Lord help me.

5 comments:

Lauralei said...

This makes me really really happy! I'm so glad to hear that something clicked and that you feel you're in the right direction again! I've also learned that worship is a huge aspect of this. Worship requires sacrifice. And you know sometimes how you don't feel like worshiping, or you're just not getting into it? I've come to that point many a time in my life, and most of the time I just sat back in my seat, sining and feeling very passive. I allowed that to happen. And then I heard someone say something about this. Again, worship is a sacrifice. And if you're not feeling it, who cares? It's mot about me, or what I feel. He's worthy and deserving ALL the time, no matter if we feel it or not. So press in as much as you possibly can through all times of worship, not just at church on a sunday or friday night. He honors that. He knows that we might not be feeling it, but if we're faithful, He'll draw near to us. I don't know if that is even relevant to you at this point, because you seem to be in a really good place right now. But I do have to tell myself this constantly, and He definitely honors when we're obedient and faithful :-)

Daughter of Zion said...

I love laura's extensively huge comments. :P She's fantastic, ain't she?

I love your heart, Greggy. So does God. Period.

Way to push on through!

Laura said it. God honors the faithful. No matter how ridiculous we may feel, when we press in regardless, He honors that and blesses it. I love Him. SO FREAKING MUCH! AHHHH!!

Haha. I hope I see you soon, Greggy. Keep it up.

Raging Sicilian said...

I agree with both of them... I miss you all..

Greggy said...

Anna, you're right. Laura is fantastic. she's a great encourager, and she's quite wise for her age.

I love Him too. all this advice is great. I love you all.

God is great. :)

Southern Blood said...

It's strange how we as humans seem to reflect that which we dislike. I'm sure what the correlation is, wether we are what we recoginize in others, or if we slowly become it. but often times i see people acting a certain way, and i find i have a distatse for it, but then i find myself acting that very way. we all do that at times and i'm not sure why. But we certainly are a cynical people. And it only brings pain, really. So we should hold eachother accountable to be uplifting instead.

Anywhosers, thats what came to mind when reading this. But right on bro, be encouraged in the Lord and PRESS INTO HIM with EVERYTHING you are. He will honor that, He promises.

And just rememeber that the less of us there is, the more of Him there can be. We must learn to deny ourselves and not become so wrapped up in us and what we want and what we are feeling. But instead in Him, what He wants, and what He is feeling. It's simply love bro, we must learn to truly love.

I shall continue to keep you in prayer. This was written a little while back, how art thou these days?

Peace and Blessings